Building my Dunsterhouse log cabin

Rebecca Eaton

Posted on April 20 2020

Building my Dunsterhouse log cabin

I hope you are all keeping well and busy. The last few weeks have been a massive shock to us all, the power of mother-nature and the importance of our health is something at times the ever fast evolving human race forgets to appreciate and respect. The one thing that I have really found peace in is the love of friends and family, the slower pace of life and of practising mindfulness.  Enjoying the moment and being present and of course ………. catching up on all the DIY you’ve been meaning to do for months!


I don’t know about you but I struggle not having a goal of something to make or achieve. I also find that I need a specific designated area to work, I like order and a clear workspace to get my creative juices flowing.  I knew it was going to be important to me in the weeks to come to have somewhere to work that was 100% dedicated to being a creative. Although I am hugely enjoying this time, a time to connect and be and a time to calm our minds (and eat lots of yummy food) I am have been really pleased to of had the opportunity to eventually put up my garden studio. This blog post outlines the steps I took to make it. 

I bought the studio back in November in a Black Friday deal from Dunsterhouse. I have been so busy with work that I was getting to the point of having to ask someone else to build it for me. As an avid maker I was really gutted to not be doing it myself as building a studio is something that I have always dreamed of doing and I didn’t want to hand that over to someone else. 

Then dun dun dunnnnnnnn the madness of Corona struck. So it naturally forced me into being able to build the studio myself.  Horrayyyyy!! (not for Corona just the time!!)

The design was the Avon 3m x 4m spec. Link here: We already had a concrete base but decided that we wanted to elevate it a little to keep it off the ground level as our back roads flood quite regularly due to tidal waters and being on a flood plane. So I bought 144 concrete blocks from Travis Perkins just before lockdown. I knew building materials were going to be top of everyone’s to-do list while lockdown was in place (on a side note – have you seen you have to queue to get onto B&Q’s website atm, it's nuts) 

The next stage was to place the bears down and make sure that they were level and had perfect right angles in the corner. Luckily that is something that I was quite used to in pattern cutting. 

Once the frame-work was down you start to build the walls. It is a tongue and groove system so pretty simple technique of building the walls up to the level of the windows.  I then built the doot frame, again checking it was perfect 90 degree angles in the corners. 



 Once all the walls were up the purlins then go across the build as the starting point of the roof. The roof then goes on next, again they are tongue and groove fitted panels so really simple, hammering in a nail at 3 points at the purlins. 

I painted the wood with 2 coats of Barrettine, oil-based wood protective treatment, 5L £17.50  click here for details:

 Roof tiles then were fitted, hammered in with 3.5 cm nails. It was really fun being on the roof, its quite a therapeutic process and great views all around. 



Finally, all the trims and internal storm braces were fitted, inside floorboards and door hung!! Whoop whoop. I then moved in all my machines etc. This is the final finished masterpiece, I was really quite chuffed with making a building its been something I have always wanted to do and my wish had come true. 


I have a few pics of the inside but have lots more that I am planning on doing inside but its always good to see before and after hey!!


More Posts

1 comment

  • Margaret: May 20, 2020

    Wow another line of business. Well done

Leave a comment

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing