2 Day In Person Handbag Making Course - 16 Designs - £349
- This course is £349 and includes all material. We require a 50% £174.50 holding free payment upfront, this secures your place and is a non refundable. The balance is due a few days before the course commences £174.50 Please see out t&C's for further info on having to reschedule your course.
- This is one of our most popular courses. It is a great introduction to making a mens or womens bag. On this two-day course you will be walked through basic construction techniques required to make a leather bag from scratch. This course is a chance to learn how to make a chrome tanned turned and fully lined soft leather bag with different types of pocket detail and handle options and leave with the knowledge and confidence to continue your bag making projects at home.
- All of our course now run in parallel with eachother, so you might be on a course with other students making clothes, bags or accessories.
- Max of 4 people per class so lots of 1-2-1.
- You will learn about different leathers, stabilisers and cutting techniques for leather and fabric and will be able to take home your bag pattern
- You will learn different edge finishes and different types of construction for handles, zips, hardware and pockets
- You will use a range of tools and machinery including industrial sewing machines, rivet press, skiving machine and hand tools
- You will get to take home a copy of the pattern so you can make the bag again.
- Exclusive list of all of our favourite suppliers
- Our courses run from 10:00 - 18:00 in our custom built (by my fair hands) Garden Studio.
- All materials are included in this course. Should you desire a more personalized touch, bring along approximately half a meter of full-width medium-weight fabric for your lining.
- No need to bring anything but your lovely selves, and possibly a camera & notepad to document your project.
- Lunch is provided at a local cafe. We will have a half an hour lunch break during the day. Coffee, tea and biscuits will be provided but if you would rather bring your own then, of course you are more than welcome to.
Outcomes: Select pattern to use, learn how to trace off the pattern from RJ Leather Studio pattern, select and discuss chosen materials, cut leather & lining, practice on the industrial machines, bonding all fusing
**The RJ Leather Studio pattern you choose is yours to take home with you at the end of the course**
You will have an introduction to different types of leather and will be given a list of all of our trusted suppliers and the tools you will need to make bags at home.
On day one we will talk you through different types of leathers and then show you how to trace off a pattern from an original handbag block introducing you to professional bag making techniques. Once you have traced the pattern we will then discuss and select which leather material and hardware you would like to use for your bag.
You will then be introduced to different tools you can use to cut leather, how to cut leather and what to look out for. You will cut the leather, lining and stabilisers and bond all of the stabilisers to the leather.
We will also do a small introduction to working on industrial sewing machines so you can have a practise in preparation for day two construction.
The first day is all about cutting and preparing and being completely ready for sewing on day two.
Outcomes:. Prepare and sew pockets, construct lining, adding hardware, sew the lining, fully assemble bag using professional bag finishing techniques, adding finishing touches, attaching handles and straps
Day two is when the magic starts to happen.
You will start the day by preparing all of the pockets to sew. There is a lot of preparation in pockets and we try to stabilise everything as much as possible so that when it comes to sewing you are only concentrating on stitching beautifully.
We then move on to constructing the linings and preparing any tabs or hardware pieces that need to be attached to the main body of the bag. This enables you to see your bag panels all start to be completed and then you can start to sew the final seams in the main (leather) body of the bag. You’ll then attach the lining and the leather together.
Right at the end is the most exciting part and you turn the bag to the right way round revealing all of your hard work and your professionally finished bag!
Finally we add on any handles or straps and rivet them on.
The RJ Leather Studio Bag Choices
1. T-Base Tote
Description: This is a handy size leather t-base tote. It has a nice sturdy base which is ideal for carrying all your essentials for a day out! Magnetic closure. It also has a handy outside and inside patch pocket for quick access for your phone or oyster card.
Dimensions: L 40cm x H 30cm x W 15cm
2. Shopper/ Tote
Description: This is a fantastic size leather tote bag. It has a nice sturdy base which is Ideal for carrying laptops, heavy books! It also has a handy front patch pocket for quick access for your daily essentials.
Dimensions : L 34cm x H 38cm x W 7cm Handle drop 20cm
3. Hobo with Magnet
Description: This is one of my favourite courses. The Hobo bag is a really cool design. It’s a really smart everyday bag that is not only really stylish it also fits a lot inside. it’s got a secure zip pocket and unusual round bugatti handle and interesting hardware.
Dimensions: L 34cm x H 34cm x W 10cm Handle drop 20cm
The image above is a suede version. You can use leather or suede on the day.
4. Flapped Cross Body Bag
Description: This is a very handy sized bag ideal for an everyday bag. It has a secure zipped back pocket. A front patch pocket. A flap with magnetic closure. It has a vegtan leather webbing cross body strap.
Dimensions: L 24cm x H 27cm x W 6cm
5. New Tote with Bugatti Handle
Description: This is a fantastic size leather tote bag and has muliple shapes to it. You can keep it as standard tote, fold it in at the sides or as a cross body bag. It has a nice sturdy base which is Ideal for carrying laptops, heavy books! It also has a handy zipped and patch pocket inside. It has a magnet closure. Short rounded bugatti grab handle and a detachable cross body strap.
Dimensions : L 34cm x H 38cm x W 7cm - Handle drop 20cm
6. Bucket Bag
Description: This is a gorgeous bucket bag that can be used worn on your shoulder or cross body, perfect for our busy lives. It has a drawstring closure and an inside zip pocket. It has a really sturdy base and metal feet to protect it from hitting the floor. A super handy long vegtan leather cross-body strap with buckle adjustment.
Dimensions: L 34cm x H 38cm x W 7cm Handle drop 20cm
7. Messenger Bag
Description: This is a fantastic unisex leather messenger bag. It has a front panel that you can choose different colour combo. It has a nice sturdy base and deep inside pocket which is Ideal for carrying laptops, heavy books!
Dimensions: L 45cm x H 35cm x W 9cm Handle drop 25cm
8. Zipped Fabric & Leather Hobo Bag
Description: It’s a really handy everyday bag that is not only really stylish it also fits a lot inside. It’s got a secure outside zip entrance and inside patch pocket for all your essentials. It features an shoulder strap and optional cross body strap.
Dimensions : L 32cm x H 33cm x W 7cm - Handle drop 20cm
9. Two Way Fold-Over Tote/Cross Body
Description: This is a brilliant bag that can be used two-ways, either as a tote bag or folded over as a cross body bag, perfect for our busy lives. It has a 1 zip pocket on the outside. Optional zip or magnetic closure. Super cute detail on the handles and a long vegtan leather cross-body strap.
Dimensions: L 40cm x H 30cm x W 15cm
10. Weekend Bag
Description: This is a very spacious leather weekend bag. It has a nice sturdy base which is Ideal for carrying laptops, heavy books ideal for a mini break away! It also has a handy front patch pocket for quick access for your daily essentials.
Dimensions: L 45cm x H 40cm x W 25cm Handle drop 25cm
Dimensions: L 25cm x H 23cm x W 6cm
12. Large Backpack with front pockets
Description: This is a very spacious large backpack bag design with handy grab handles. The bag features front pockets made from fabric, you can chose on the day what colour and type of fabric, canvas or vintage looks fab. The bag main entrance has a zip. front pocket flap securing with sam browne studs. Lots of handy spaces to store your things, front pockets and an inside patch pocket.
Dimensions : L 40cm x H 45cm x W 12cm - Handle drop 20cm
13. Concertina Bag
Description: The concertina design means you can carry lots in this bag with a double compartment. It is very secure with a flap and turn lock main entrance. It features a secure inside zip pocket. Tabs at the side of the bag for detachable cross body strap or shoulder handle.
Dimensions : L 24cm x H 19cm x W 6cm - strap 115cm
14. Saddle Bag
Another handy a cross body bag design in the collection. This is a structured bag. You can choose the vintage fabric or leather side panel gusset on the first day of the course. It has a handy twist lock front closure. 2 patch pockets for your essentials. The flap has a grab handle and detachable cross body strap.
Dimensions : L 25cm x H 22cm x W 10cm - strap 115cm
15. Mini Backpack
Description: This is a handy size leather backpack. It has a nice secure zip opening, and is quite wide so Ideal for carrying all your essentials for a day out! It also has a handy front zip pocket for quick access and an inside patch pocket. Grab handle and double straps.
Level: Intermediate / Advanced. Experience of sewing is essential for this bag
Dimensions : L 30cm x H 35cm x W 14cm
* All designs come with a vegtan leather label to customise your design, emboss your name or special words. “Made with love by me” and a strap inside for your keys.
16. Day Duffel Bag
Description: This day duffel bag is great for anyone wanting to carry around lots of books, laptops etc. It is very spacious and accomodates lots but also looks great not filled. It has a nice secure zip opening and sturdy base. You have the option of choosing a canvas or leather body of the bag. It also has a handy front zip pocket for quick access and an inside patch pocket. The bag features shoulder straps and a detachable webbing cross body strap.
Dimensions : L 42cm x H 39cm x W 20cm
Leather olour Choices
(L to R) Navy, Black, Purple, Dark Green, Taupe, Teal, Fuscia, Red, Tan
Gold, Silver, Antique Brass
Location: RJ Leather Studio,
Garden Studio - 49 West Way, Lancing, West Sussex, BN15 8LX.
Upon course booking, you'll receive an email with driving directions and public transport information. Free on-site parking is available, and we're approximately a 30-minute walk from Lancing train station.